Sunday, January 12, 2014

You Are A Writer (So Start Acting Like One)

I'm not sure what I think of Jeff Goins book, You Are A Writer (So Start Acting Like One). There are two reasons I read this short book. One, I wanted to feel a little more writerly. I've been busy at my new day job and I don't want it to take over. I thought a book about being a writer might help. Two, when I downloaded it, it was free. A free book about writing I couldn't resist.

It's well written. Goins can turn a phrase. There's an energy to his words, so I never found You Are A Writer boring. It was an easy read, though I stopped part way to read something else. It was a bit repetitive. If you're a writer, you write. Yes. Okay. I get it. I'll write. Can we talk about something else? No? Ok. I'll write.

Though Goins continually emphasized that the most important thing a writer can do is write, he also wrote about all the other things writers have to do. Like building a platform.....  So I found some of it contradictory, but I also found some of it encouraging. What I took out of the book is the need to find balance. You of course need to write to be a writer, but you also need to create your own platform and brand.  I liked his advise for branding, using a recognizable photo and fonts. He also really encouraged blogging, which I appreciate, since I love my blogs.

I think You Are A Writer is worth reading. Once I was in the second half of the book, I found it informative. I'll be checking out Jeff Goins' website and social media.

http://youareawriter.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment