Wednesday, August 1, 2012

August Update: or, No Job = More Writing Time


August 1st, it seems like a nice day to do an update. 

I still have no job.  It's been just over a month since I was laid-off.  I've been on a few interviews, even got called back for a couple second interviews.  I've turned an offer down because of the distance it would take to travel there.  I'm waiting to hear back from a job that I think would be nice for me. 

Distance makes a difference.  Some of you know that I have two small children, three and one.  They are my priority.  As much as I need to work, I will not travel so far away that I can't get to them in an emergency.  I've heard of children who are spending eleven or twelve hours away from home in daycare.  I'm not judging the people who do that. It's necessary in many cases.  It is just not in mine.  If I'm spending eight hours at work, I plan on having my children only spend eight and a half or nine hours away from me.

Okay, I didn't plan on this being a post about how much I want to be near my children.

I'm using this unemployed time though.  I've been writing like mad.  I've gone through all the short stories I have for my collection.  I like them.  Actually, I love them.  I've also been working on my first non-fiction piece.  It's chronicling the journey I'm on, looking for work.  I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but this isn't the first time I've been laid-off.  It wasn't my fault (honestly).  It was work shortage.  The company I was laid-off from before this actually went out of business.  I think part of what I'm doing is trying to figure out how I could pick a job that would again put me in this situation. 

How long does non-fiction have to be?  Novel length?  Novella length?  I don't really know.  Right now, I have about ten thousand words.  I'm not aiming for a particular word count.  I'm just writing what I feel.  When it's done (or at least close to being done) I'll go through, edit and make it more coherent.  I know there is at least one passage that's just my mad ramblings.  I don't know if it'll be publishable when it's done, but I'm going to write it anyway. 

Wasaga Beach *
To refer back to my Image Use post, I've gone through a lot of my blog pictures, but not all.  I think this blog is good.  I've started going through my Pins and I've deleted a few pictures I felt unsure about (it made me a little sad).  It's still going to take me a while.  Honestly, if I'm feeling the urge to write or I'm in the middle of a good flow, I'm not stopping to check pictures or Tweet or anything else.  When I'm writing, all I see are the words on the page and images in my mind.

The summer is half over.  I wonder what the rest of it will bring.

A quick addition, the last sentence I’ve written (so far) this afternoon:  “The sad talks were taking its toll, the logic of his words made me feel a bit better, and a little less panicked.”

No comments:

Post a Comment