Monday, January 30, 2017

Last Week #72 - So Much Can Change

I started this post just a couple days ago. So much can change in just a couple days. What I wanted to talk about was the Women's March and a bit of what I've written over the week, but I didn't know what was going to happen. I didn't want more to be happening. I wanted to talk about how inspirational watching the Women's March throughout the U.S. and around the world was, and that it gave me hope. Hope that the U.S. and their new regime won't stop the world from moving forward, that one day we might have equality for all. Maybe I'll be able to go on vacation to the U.S. again and feel safe. Then, before I could post this, things changed again.

There's a ban on Muslims. I know he's saying it's not a "ban", that it's only particular Muslim countries, but that's just semantics. When this ban came down and a halt on refugees began, I was proud to be Canadian, as I saw my Prime Minister open our country to all those that were turned away. That we were saying, Welcome to Canada. As I watched all the protests at airports spreading across the border, I wondered when the people would be heard. I hoped that the people could get through to their leader.

Then things changed again. There was attack at home, on Canadian soil, and I'm having a difficult time with it. My father-in-law, who grew up in Quebec City, and would ride his bike by this same mosque every day, is deeply saddened and troubled. He thought the world was moving forward, we thought that Canada could be a safe place for everyone. I won't be quiet about this. I can't be. This hurts now. At a time when I thought people could be better, this happens. I know people can be better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment