Sunday, November 29, 2015

Last Week #50 - That's Not What I Wrote About

I think I had  pretty good week with writing.  More than recent weeks, which always makes me happy. I went to writing group this week and for of the prompts, I found inspiration for scenes for my work-in-progress. I always love when that happens. But that's not what I'm going to write about here! One of the prompts was "mini disasters", then from a pile, we picked out a first line and began writing. 

Unedited (except for spelling):

“Damn. It just snapped.” I whispered to Ariana. I clutched at the thin strap to my black dress, trying to be causal as the bride’s father made his speech. 

Ariana began to rummage around in her tiny clutch. “Damn it. Sorry, Cat, I thought I had a safety pin.”

“I could feel the back of my dress slipping below my shoulder blade. “I knew it was loose earlier. I should have done something about it before the reception.”

“It’s an expensive dress.  I thought it would hold up too.” I watched Ari look at our table of work friends. 

No one paid us any attention, they were all engrossed in the father’s speech. It must be pretty emotional, since our stoic receptionist looked ready to cry. I couldn’t pay attention to anything, fearful this wardrobe malfunction would have me flashing a room full of people I didn’t know.

I tried to lean closer to Ari, “I need to get to the bathroom.”

She nodded and we tried to turn our attention back to the wedding party. The room broke out in thunderous applause. While Ariana could join in, I was not letting go. Taking a cue from the receptionist, I pretended to wipe a tear way with me free hand.

I had a couple of the women at the group relate to this tale. I think it's something a lot of people can relate too. I had fun with the prompt and enjoyed that infusion of humour into my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment