Sunday, February 8, 2015

Last Week #20 - Logline

Taking the advice of a writer I went to hear speak a few weeks ago, I decided to create a logline for my current Work In Progress.  I thought he might be right when he said that if I couldn't sum up my story in 1-2 sentences, maybe there was something wrong with it.  The logline would also give the story focus, so that I (as the author) would always know what it was about. Should I share it?  I'm a little nervous about it.  What if it doesn't sound interesting?  

"A woman lost in the mundane world, finds herself drawn into darkness and conspiracy, where her hero is not who she thinks he is, and she must learn to survive this new world on her own."

I think I need an adjective to go before "woman", something that describes her personality before all the craziness starts happening to her.  Is she bored?  Tired?  Lonely?  Is she fierce?  Intelligent?  I'm not sure her goal is obvious, but is it obvious in the story itself? Does it need to be?  I've changed it at least five times since typing it up.  The line definitely needs some more tinkering.  I do think though, it helps focus the story.  I think more than anything, the novel I'm writing is about the woman surviving.

Also, I came across this site and found it helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment