Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Random #50 - The Closing of a Bookstore


I went to a charity book sale on the weekend.  I was so excited when I heard about it, I couldn't resist. I spent only $23 and got 16 books!  It was a three-day sale, but I didn't get to go until the third day.  I imagine I would have bought even MORE BOOKS if I was there on the first day.  As it was, I had to put stuff back, not that I couldn't afford it, but I couldn't imagine where I was going to put them.  My shelves are already overflowing and here I've added 16 more books (plus I ordered some online recently too, they're just not here yet.)  I'm turning into a book hoarder.  Shh... Don't tell my husband.

It's a bit sad though.  The book sale was put on by the local Literacy Council, because the local used bookstore had to close its doors.  They downsized last summer/fall, but it wasn't enough.  Rumour has it that the owner financed the store out of love, which is nice.  Until she passed and the people who were working there had to figure out a way to make it a viable business.  They tried and it didn't work out. The Literacy Council was brought in to liquidate the inventory. I'm sorry that this store, that I bought many books from over the years, closed.  I think at least a quarter of all the books in my house came from there.  I hope the books went to good homes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment